Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Want-a-holic

Oh dear.

Because Jason and I are in Ohio for the fall, things have been a little crazy when it comes to planning for the holidays: How we were going to get to Seattle, how we were going to get everyone's presents, how we were going to get back to Rexburg after the holidays were over... It's been nuts.

To make things a little easier for the people who have to get us (well... ME) presents, I've already begun my Christmas wish list. When I first started, I had a pretty hard time thinking of things I wanted - mostly books or movies. They're pretty cheap, right? Then I started exploring online, and I've realized that I really want a LOT of things. Things that aren't cheap. Things that I'm living without right now, so that means I don't need them. Does that make me a want-a-holic?

I think part of the reason I'm finding so many things I want is because we're poor students and will be for at least the next 4 years. It's ok to want things when you don't have much, right? It's ok to kinda long for things you can't have now because you don't have the money to spare, but that some day you might be able to get, right?

To tell the truth, I really am content with what Jason and I have. I'm blessed to have a beautiful family, a nice apartment, and to live in a great ward in Rexburg. Jason's always reminding me that we have it really good. He served his mission in El Salvador and some people there live with dirt floors. A lot of times our minimum wage is more than what they make in one day.

Ok. What I'm trying to say is this: I feel guilty for wanting more because I already am blessed with so much. Is it bad for me to want more?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I so know how you feel! Dallin and I were just saying all the things we want and need (which I'm sure we don't realllly need), and we realized that there will always be a never-ending list of stuff that we could use. But then when you think about it, we've lived without it for so long do we really NEED it in order to survive now? Still, isn't it hard to resist?! I like to read Sister Hinckley's "Letters" book, because she helps me see that even she sometimes liked to go shopping for a dress or shoes, and she enjoyed having a few material things in life. I don't think that's bad! I guess it could turn "bad" if you never were happy with what you have, but I think being poor college students we're allowed to want some things. :)

    P.S. You know that baby jumpy/bouncy toy that you had hanging in your closet in your apartment? Where did you get that, what's it called, and how much was it?! I think Hunter would looove to have one when we're in New Orleans. And it's a good christmas present to tell the Grandparents. Yet another item to add to my list of wants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is fun to read! i have been so behind i was wondering what you are up to! so youre coming back to rexy in the winter? and i think its okay you want a lot of things, haha i think we all do! but yes, it is a wake up call when you realise you live just fine without them. its the internets fault for showing us everything we dont have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry. My want list is a mile long too. At the top is a house and washing machine. (It snowed here and I hate doing laundry in the snow!) New clothes and fun things are always on my want list. It is okay to want as long as we remember how blessed we are. I love being a poor collage student and the fun times that we have as a family. Hope everything is going well for you and look forward to seeing you guys again in January.

    ReplyDelete