Saturday, March 20, 2010

Traveling, Random Story and Question

Hello there, friends! I'm writing this post from my hometown in Ohio! (Hence no pictures. Yet.) Andrew and I arrived on Wednesday afternoon, and will be here until Tuesday morning.

We came out because of my younger sister - she's leaving on her mission to Tampa, Florida, here in a few weeks, and we wanted to see her before she left. We especially wanted for her to be able to see Andrew, because by the time she gets back he'll be almost 3 years old. Isn't that a crazy thought? By the time she comes back, she'll have been gone for half his life. Crazy. Anyway, we came this particular week because she went through the temple on Thursday, and so all the immediate family was able to be there. It was wonderful.

We've been having a good time since we arrived. We've relaxed, gone to the temple, went to a movie (at the theater! That's the first time for me in a long time!), I got my hair cut by my sister Carrie, we went to the zoo, watched the first Rocky movie.... It's been great! I'll have to post a few pictures from the trip - mostly zoo pictures - when I get back to Rexburg.

Oh dear. My younger sister just got back from taking care of some pets that belong to one of the families in my parents' ward, and she told me that one of the fish is dead! They only left last night, so it wasn't Carrie's fault! lol. It reminds me of Ellie, a cat that Jason's family used to have when he was younger. Ellie was getting old, and so whenever they'd go on family trips, they used to joke that when they got home, Ellie would be dead. Well, one time they went on a cross-country road trip, and as they were driving back into their neighborhood, they started the normal joking about Ellie being dead, only to find out she HAD actually died while they were gone! The girls taking care of their pets were really upset about it, but Jason's family just expected it. While they were sad, they knew it was coming soon, so they weren't devestated. Isn't that so sad/funny?

Ok. One other kinda random thing/question: What is your opinion on making holidays special for your kids when they are little? I was thinking about getting Andrew a basket for Easter this year and getting him a few little things, but Jason just keeps telling me that Andrew's only a year old and he won't remember. What do you think - Is it better to save the money and not bother with a basket or anything, or to go for it and spend the money, even though they won't remember?

8 comments:

  1. I would say to do it. It makes it fun and special for you two then too! Just get something small and cheap. He might not remember but you will! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome that you got to go to Ohio and be with your sister when she went through the temple. That is such a neat experience. As far as your question I agree with you, and your friend melody, I think it's a good idea to do a small basket for Andrew even though he won't remember it, it will be something special for him and you. And like she said even though he probably won't remember it you will..Just take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Do it! It's fun and he can share the candy with you! My sister in law just came back from her mission in TAMPA, FLORIDA! She'll be so excited to hear I know someone who is going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree also! It's mostly fun for the mom and dad at that age. I think he will have more fun than you know actually. Ethan was younger than Andrew last year and still had a blast hunting for eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have kids, but I agree! Maybe just something tiny for him and take some pics!

    i was talking to my mom the other day on the phone and i could hear a baby in the background and was so confused! Then she told me it was Andrew and kept going on about how adorable he was :)

    I am SO happy for Carrie, she's gonna love her life...I'm so happy for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, is she watching my parents pets?? If so, tell her to not worry about a dead fish! lol!!!
    And I always like to do holiday stuff for my kids no matter how old they are. I think its so much fun and even when they are one they will still get excited to see a bright colorful easter basket. I actually found a lot of the stuff I am using for my kids easter baskets this year at the dollar store and the dollar aisle at target so it made it pretty cheap! Have fun in Ohio with your family!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do the whole Easter thing but do it late. That way, teh day after Easter you can get all the stuff on clearance! Thats what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's still fun to do stuff for kids on holidays, even if your kids have no idea what's going on! Hunter is going to an easter egg hunt and I'm sure he'll pretty much just try to eat whatever plastic egg we put in his hand. :) But it's fun for the parents to experience the holidays through a child's eyes. I love it!
    I just had to say, I'm jealous that you got your hair cut. Right now mine just gets pulled back in a ponytail and I don't even care since I never see anyone anymore. :)
    Keep writing! Have you started your date night club yet???

    ReplyDelete