Friday, December 9, 2011

I LOVE Christmas!

"Christmas is not a time or season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas." -Calvin Coolidge

Christmas is my favorite holiday. Period. It's not about the presents; it's about the general feeling. Everyone is happy. Everyone is giving. Houses smell like cinnamon and pine. Cookies and pie are baked more. Special music is played. Winter still feels crisp and exciting.

And most people decorate.

I admit, I did not have high hopes for our apartment this year. Not only am I a terribly interior designer, but we had no decorations to our name, except for a tiny 3-foot artificial tree. Though we'll be spending Christmas with my parents and their house is decorated, I wanted our place to look festive to get us excited for the holiday.

While decorating my parents' house, we inherited the following:

  • A full-size artificial Christmas tree
  • Two 18-foot lighted garland
  • A Christmas swag
  • A nativity set that I don't have to worry about the boys breaking
  • LOTS of Christmas lights
We also got one decoration for free from a friend in our ward, and discovered we had a few ornaments and 4 place mats while cleaning our place! Now the apartment looks great! Here's what we've got up:

Our Christmas tree! Not the most beautiful (the garland and ornaments keep getting pulled off by the boys), but I love it!

Nativity

The original Christmas tree we were going to use

Christmas swag above our kitchen table

Our place mats

Countdown to Christmas decoration and a light-up garland

Free prints I found on Pinterest, pinned HERE
And there's still more I want to do. There's one more lighted garland that I want to put on the half wall by the stairs, and then more Christmas lights I want to hang near the ceiling around the living room. Yay!

Secret: I sometimes want to be friends on Facebook with people I didn't even know in high school, just because I like seeing how their lives are turning out. Does that make me a stalker?

3 comments:

  1. wonderful photos ! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody, Your house looks great kid, I remember our first Christmas when In our first place, rocky was two and we had no decorations at all,and things were real hard that year, His brother and wife was home for the first time after getting our of the service,they came over one night and didn't see any decorations. so the very next night a knock on the door, Rock opened it, and there they were, holding a small Christmas tree and extra lights for the tree. that is one of the best memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had high hopes for printing out some of those printables. Yeah.. didn't happen and still probably won't because I'm not actually ready to hang anything on my walls yet. Plans for where to hang stuff keep changing. LOL.

    Isn't having a tree just the best?! We didn't get a tree our first year of being married. I made an outline of one on a wall with lights... yeah, lame sauce!

    If you're in the same place next year, you should hang the garland from under the counter instead of laying it on top. I think that would look awesome! If you can't put holes in things (like cup hooks which I love using--they do make little holes though), then command hooks work too.

    ReplyDelete