Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Books + Day 13 + Introducing "Me Quotes" (Hurray!)

"The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fade." -Anthony Trallope

It's wonderful to find a book you read in the past and read it again. It's funny; you get something new out of a book each time you read it, not because the book has changed, but because you have. That's what I think, at least.

Hello, my friends. The last few days have been alright. I missed our ward for the second week in a row because we were asked last minute to speak in Greenfield. THAT was a long day, because it takes an hour and a half to get there, and we rode with someone else who had to be there an hour before church started, then church is three hours, then we had to stop somewhere for a half hour on the way home. *sigh* My talk went well, though, and the boys did alright during the drive, so there really isn't so much to complain about. :)

Other than that, life has been blessedly normally. I've been babysitting the girl I watch every once in a while, the boys are learning new ways to drive me crazy every day (in good and bad ways), and I've been reading a few good books.

I need to play catch-up on that.

First: Books!

The other day, I finished the 4th and last book of the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. I admit, when I first read the synopsis of the first book, The Iron King, I wasn't sure if it was going to be something I would really get into. But I liked it a lot! Obviously enough to read the rest of the series, plus the Iron Legends (Iron Fey 1.5, 3.5, and I still need to read 4.5). Anyway, I recommend it. Overall, 4.5-5 stars.


Next, Timepiece. It's the second book of the Hourglass series by Myra McEntire. I've been meaning to read it for a while, seeing as it came out in June and I read the first book last year, but I've been a little busy! I liked it a lot! I thought it was interesting that the book was written from a different point of view from the first one, and although I think I liked the first one better, I definitely enjoyed this one as well.


Last, but not least (at least for this entry), I finally read the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I thought the books were extremely well-written, and Katniss was a very likable and realistic heroine. I also was really happy with who she ended up with - no spoilers here though! - although in general I wasn't a huge fan of the ending itself. I've realized though, after reading the series, that I'm not sure I'll ever read them again. It was a bit too depressing for my taste; it wasn't happy enough. I know, I know, it's good to have books that could imitate life well if the reality of the book were to really happen, but I like for my books to stray from reality just enough to make for a happy ending every time. *sigh* Am I weird?


Second: Day 13!

I've been neglecting that 30-Day Blog Challenge... I started it all the way back in May, and I haven't been writing a whole lot since then. When I have updated, at least recently, I've forgotten to do it...

Anyway, Day 13 - Three confessions of your choice

I'll just go ahead and make these three secrets.

Secret #1: I've never understood people who like to work out. They always talk about how good they feel afterward. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've "felt good" after I've worked out. I'd have to have 100 hands to count the times I've felt terrible after I've worked out. I guess Working Out and I were never meant to be... Haha.

Secret #2: I crack my knuckles. A lot.

Secret #3: I've never been on a real diet. Sometimes I tell myself to eat something a little healthier, or sometimes I tell myself to scale back on the treats a little, but to be honest - Food + Me (unlike Working Out!) were a match made in heaven!

I've also decided I'm going to put funny/interesting things I said on my old blog as Me Quotes on here, maybe just before my secrets. I'll also put the date they came from, and have the link back to the entry it came from, that way you can read it in context, if you'd like.

By the way, if you read this whole thing, congratulations! You are officially probably bored stiff. Haha.

Me Quote: "I get to finish my laundry and clean the house! Woot Woot! I can't believe how much fun I'm going to have today! I'll be dancing with the vacuum cleaner, and having races with the dust we'll be stirring today! I'm so excited. Not. (Saturday, 12 June 2004)

2 comments:

  1. i totally crack my knuckles. i hope my fingers don't fall off.
    i'm in a book reading frenzy lately, i've been so picky and now everything seems so good. i've heard of the hourglass books, i should give those a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read The Rag and Bone She by Robert Cormier, not happy at all but very, very well done. He destroys you with the last page of the book. But he tends to do that. Even though his books are almost emotionally and psychologically damaging, he's one of my favorite young adult authors. I would recommend I Am the Cheese for a first read of his and always have something really, really happy to follow up with after finishing his books. But they are sooooo good. Sorry.... That was quite a lot. Haha.

    ReplyDelete