I have to admit - I don't make resolutions. I never have. I have this whole issue where I make goals and then forget about them. Especially if they have to do with getting in shape. Those are "conveniently" forgotten, and more easily than I'd like to share.
But... I just got new tennis shoes. Yay for Groupon deals! Anywat, they're not running shoes, but they're better than the regular joe-shmoe shoes I've had for the last few years.
And... my husband is trying to work out a few times a week at school or with my brother-in-law.
And... my friend Suki has done this thing a couple times called c25k, or Couch to 5K. I looked up what it is HERE. I also found something similar to the c25k program on Pinterest, pinned HERE. And to tell the truth, it doesn't sound completely bad, and that's saying a LOT coming from an exercise-a-phobe like me.
With the new shoes, my husband already working out, and all the information I need to start, it really feels silly to not try and make the resolution to get at least a little bit more in shape than I currently am.
My only problem is finding the time. My husband is in school, and works two jobs when he's not in school. I don't have a car most days, nor do I have money to pay a babysitter. I'd do it during nap time, but Andrew doesn't take naps anymore, so I'd have to wake up around 6 (oh, heavens, don't make me wake up before 7:30 or you'll regret it!). Or I'd have to wait until after they're in bed, and at that point I'm exhausted from keeping the apartment from completely falling apart and the boys from killing each other. Or rather, keeping Andrew from killing them both.
PLEASE share, mommies like me: how do YOU find the time to work out?
It's really too bad you can't get a body like this just from existing:
![]() |
| Picture from HERE |
Secret: I think my aversion to exercise started when I was young. In gym class, all they'd have us do is have us try different sports, and my coordination is severely lacking. To say I was terrible at sports would be a generous statement. I even got made fun of a few times in gym classes. I love watching sports now, but most of the time I avoid playing them like the plague.

C25K Works!!! I did it AND my MOM did it!!
ReplyDeleteI plan on doing the couch to 5k too. I was doing it when I got pregnant and then had to stop due to complications. I am about to start back up. I do it at night.
ReplyDeleteYou and I are bascially in the same boat; we both have active energetic little boys. To have time to workout, you need to MAKE the time. It took me awhile to apply that. ;) Since my boys are active we go on walks, go to the park, swim and play outside (kill two birds with one stone - they get to run around and I get my workout in). During these cold winter months I do a workout DVD for 30 mins + (I do this workout after breakfast and the boys are dressed).
ReplyDeleteThat is a very good question... how do other moms do it?! I've only had a few months this year where I've exercised regularly, and that was a flook of nature, I'm not naturally inclined to exercise!
ReplyDeleteI do think it only worked for me if I MADE time, and thought of myself as already in shape and I'm just keeping myself in shape. If I thought of myself as a lazy out-of-shape mom then I just didn't feel like beginning the process at all! It's all about the mind over the body, like forcing yourself to wake up early or do it at night. But good luck! I need some good motivating advice too!
You just need to find something you like. I'm not athletic at all but I am actually quite a good exerciser. A few months ago I rode my bike for 26 miles in 85 minutes. I also do work out DVDS with my husband.
ReplyDeleteOh Melody...I seriously understand the worries. Your thoughts were my thoughts about 7 months ago. WHERE do I begin and HOW in the world am I going to make this work? I eventually got so tired of my inner debates that one night before I went to bed I just decided that the next morning I was going to get up and go running. It didn't matter if I only ran for 10 minutes, all that mattered was that I ran. And I did it! I think I ran for a whopping 13 min that first time but since that day I have a love for running. I run at 6 am before Jordan goes to work. It sounds awful...and it basically feels awful...until you start your workout and then it feels better.
ReplyDeleteYou can do it Melody! You will be so proud of yourself when you do.
I ditto the comments other people have made. You have to make the time. But you probably were looking for more suggestions on how to deal with it for your situation specifically. Trust me, I know how it feels with Jared working two jobs and having a little one. (Sorry, this is going to get lengthy!)
ReplyDeleteMy first solution was workout at home. Sparkpeople.com has free short workout videos. I joined a challenge where they posted which videos you should do on which day. They're having another one right now. It helps you just do it and not think. Kaelyn recognizes the site now and knows it as "exercise"! She was pretty cute when I did it although it was getting hard because she would try to sit on me and she would want me to help her. But she would also "exercise" with me. I loved that she would try some crunches or whatever. Nothing like teaching them when they're young!
I tried exercise DVDs. For me, those only work if I have a LOT of different ones. Like... if I did different one every day for a month, then I wouldn't be bored.
My ultimate solution was to join a gym. That only happened when I started working for Colleen so I had the extra income though. This gives me time to workout without Kaelyn AND a shower without her. (And a steam room. Love the steam room.)
My suggestion for you is to do it whenever you can and then keep it simple. Say you can only do it for 10 minutes. Hey, that's 10 more minutes than yesterday! Eventually you'll decide that you like it and you'll go 15 minutes. Also, you can find things to do with your kids. Exercise is still beneficial when done in small bursts throughout the day. Maybe do pushups over David. Or jumping jacks with Andrew. Or just ignore the kids. That is the hardest but it's good for them to see you exercising and know that it is a healthy thing to do. And it's also healthy for them to know that there are times when they can't have your undivided attention and learn to deal with that.
Hope this help! Told you it'd be long!