Saturday, July 7, 2012

Heat + 4th of July + Day 12

"Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation." -Kin Hubbard

So. What is UP with this weather? First, we have a really mild winter, a somewhat short-lived spring, and now our summer is turning Ohio into a literal sauna. It's awful. I hate going outside, so I don't. My poor boys. In the winter, I kept thinking, "Oh, I'll take them outside when it gets warmer." And then it suddenly got scalding hot, and now I keep thinking, "Oh, I'll take them outside when it gets cooler."

I've decided that we're either going to live on the west coast of the United States, where the ocean currents keep the weather really temperate, or in the UK/Ireland. My parents were in the UK for a couple weeks a few weeks ago, and even though it was June, they were wearing sweaters and jackets and saying it was chilly. *sigh* Sounds perfect right about now.

This is what it feels like! Well, plus humidity. Ugh!
Because of the weather, we really haven't been up to a whole lot: babysitting, discovering new shows on Netflix streaming, reading lots of books, trying to figure out what to do in all this heat...

The good thing is, on the third of July every year in Columbus, they have a big fireworks show called Red White and Boom! A bunch of people from church got together at the top of a parking garage on campus to watch the show, and we had a great time! The boys ran around with other kids, played with sparklers, we ate lots of good food and had fun talking with people from the ward. And, of course, the fireworks were wonderful. Here are a couple pictures from that adventure:

Running to me

Sparklers! This was his very first time, and he was a little confused as to what he was supposed to do with it...

Andrew and his good friend Carson watching the fireworks.

David pointing at the fireworks. This was the first time he'd ever seen any!
On the 4th of July, we spent time with my parents and my sister's family. We went out to eat, but my mom wasn't feeling well, so she wasn't able to come. It also meant that we only spent a couple hours together, and then everyone went home to spend the evening with their own little families. It was a little sad, and we didn't get to see any more fireworks or the parade or anything, but maybe we will next year.

David enjoyed sitting with Grandpa during our lunch.
David found someone's slip at my parents' house and put it on! He got angry when we tried to take it off. Haha!
Aaaand we've done a whole lot of not-so-much since then. Jason's had a couple nights where he got emergency jobs just as we were getting the boys ready for bed, so I've spent a couple evenings alone. I decided to watch the TV show "In It to Win It", the ABC Family gymnastics show. It's pretty good! A little cheesy sometimes, but I don't care. I'm 5 episodes in and loving it. :)

Alright.

Day 12 - Uhhh... I can't tell exactly what it's saying, but I think it's saying, "What do you have as your background on your computer screen?" (This is what it really says: "Screenshot you desktop.")

I took this picture in North Carolina back in March, and it's the background picture on our laptop:


Secret: I hate money. We don't have any. I'm sure that someday I'll be grateful for this time of my life, and that I'll look back and know that it was good for us, but I very much dislike being poor. And being poor with two kids to feed and clothe makes it that much harder. Someone tell me that it's going to get easier, please.

2 comments:

  1. the fireworks at stadium of fire are awesome but nothing compares to red white and boom and nobody understands that out here...so sad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that quote at the top :-) haha you always find the best quotes!

    ReplyDelete