Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hand Envy + Day 27

"On the other hand, you have different fingers." -Steven Wright

Haha, imagine that!

Yes, my friends, you read the entry title correctly. I have hand envy. I wish my hands looked like yours! I know, it's weird. Let me explain.

This is a picture of my right hand:

This is a close-up of my right index finger:

I was born with the deformity, and when I was little, I wasn't aware that it was odd to have a finger that looked that way. When I started kindergarten, you can imagine how the other kids reacted when they saw it. I was so embarrassed that I started hiding it, or using my left hand to raise my hand. I've done it for so long that I don't even realize I'm doing it now, and most people don't even know my finger looks that way.

As I've grown up, I've realized that not only was my right index finger deformed in the womb, but also the rest of my fingers are all slightly bent in a weird way. I've given up having hands that look beautiful, like these:


You know what? Sometimes I still really do wish my hands were prettier so that I wouldn't think about my hands whenever I raise them, or whenever I have to do something where my hands are looked at (hey, it happens!). BUT I've come to be grateful for my hands, finger oddities and all. I have all 10 fingers, and I can use them, for my own benefit and for other people. Not everyone can say that.

In other news...

David turned 3 months old yesterday! He doesn't have another doctor's appointment until he's about 4 1/2 months old, so I can't tell you measurements or anything, but he's growing like a weed. He's pretty much completely in 3-6 month clothes, has been in size 2 diapers for a while now, and I can barely carry him in his infant car seat anymore! He's still tiny compared to Andrew, but I can sense that he's trying to play catch-up with him. Just watch. I'm going to have two very big boys on my hands here soon!

This last weekend, we started putting David in another room in a crib to sleep. He's done well two out of the four nights so far. Hurray! We still do a terrible job of putting him down before we go to sleep, so we still put him down somewhere between 11pm and midnight, but I'm thinking that over the next couple weeks or months we'll try doing it earlier and earlier to the point where we can put both of the boys down at the same time - 8pm. Wish us luck! Any tips?

My happy little guy

Day 27 - Why you are doing this 30 day challenge

I'm doing it for a couple different reasons.
  1. One of the original reasons was to help me blog more often. I didn't find that my life was all that interesting, and had a hard time updating more than once or twice a month when nothing too extraordinary happened. It's taken me longer than 30 days to do it because David was born and I've gotten sorta busy (understandably), but it helped when I first started!
  2. It helped me come up with things to talk about. This kinda goes hand-in-hand with number 1.
  3. I wanted you guys to get to know me better. I have a tendency to be a recluse when I'm out and about. I've become a shy person since getting married, and I don't know why. Anyway, I wanted to be able to share things about myself that I wish I had the courage to say when I talk with people. It's a lot easier for me to talk about things online than to actual people sometimes. Isn't that sad?
Secret: I've told a lot of secret-type things today! Hmm... let's see... when I was younger, I wanted to get colored contacts because I thought my brown eyes were boring. Now I like them, and so does Jason, so if I got colored contacts now, I'd wear them just out of curiosity to see what I'd look like.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have things that we're self conscious about. Mine is my white white skin. But I never noticed that about you, and when I think of you, I just think you're beautiful!! Good luck with the bedtime routine. It's a whole new heavenly world when they're on the same sleep schedule!! And we noticed that they sleep much better and longer when we put them down earlier. I live for 7:30! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never noticed your fingers at all! I mean to say, I never noticed anything different about them, so I'm guessing no one else really notices either... if that makes you feel any better. :) I like that you share more about yourself on your blog! It does help me know you better. Now I just wish we were living near each other again! David is getting cuter every time I see a new picture... awwww.

    ReplyDelete