Andrew seems to be feeling better from his reflux, which is making me one happy momma. He also seems to be trying out his smiling muscles, because every once in a while I'll catch him with a big toothless grin on his face. It only lasts a second and I'm not sure if it's just gas or if he's doing it on purpose, but it gives me hope that he'll be smiling for more than a second or two in the near future.
Something that has been on my mind lately is this: am I doing this right? Am I doing everything for Andrew than needs to be done? A lot of times he just seems to sleep, cry, eat, spit up, poop, and sleep some more. As someone who doesn't have any experience with babies, when he's awake, I don't know what to do with him. Usually, I think something's wrong and I either just hold him or put him in his swing or rocker. I've tried to do "tummy time" with him on a play gym mat we got him, but he started bawling his eyes out, as is evidenced by this picture:

Since then, I've been wanting to try doing it with him again, but he's either asleep, crying, or spitting up (and I don't want the spit up to get on the mat!)
Then there's the eating. The last couple days, he's been sleeping really well at night, going for 5 or 6 hours at a time between feedings... but then he's been continuing that pattern during the day. Is it normal for a 1-month-old to eat only 6 times a day? I have no idea!
All I really need is some reassurance that Andrew is going to be ok. That his neck muscles will develop despite the fact that tummy time may = crying time. That even if he spits up on my clothes, it doesn't mean he spit up everything he just ate. That when he cries, sometimes he just needs to cry. That even though he doesn't seem interested in toys right now, he will be someday. (And I might want to count my blessings now!) That he will turn into a normal child, even if I don't feel like I'm helping him do that right now.
Thanks for listening to my worries!
OH MELODY!!! You're one great Mommy, and need not to worry! Andrew is and will be fine! From my experience, Ethan HATED tummy time with a passion!! It did take him a little longer to crawl and some may say it was because I never put him on his tummy but oh well... I couldn't help but pick him up when he was crying either. As far as spit up goes: it's amazing how much they can spit up and still be alright. Ethan spit up a ton and I felt like as soon as I was done feeding him, he'd spit and then want more. UGH! But he was fine, and as long as Andrew is still having 6-8 wet diapers in the day he's getting plenty to eat.
ReplyDeleteyou're doing great! and if you want an invite to my blog (bc its private) send me your email westover.katelyn@gmail.com
Hi Melody! My name is Amanda and I am a friend of your husbands from back home in WA. I have read your bog a couple of times and wanted to let you know how cute your little man is! I have a 5 month old little guy and he has been a handful and a blessing too! You are a great mom Im sure! Mason hated tummy time like most babies do at first and then when he started roll he rolls on his tummy and his arms and back and neck have become really strong so it just takes time. Its amazing how much they really do learn and grow on their own! Andrew is lucky to have parents who care so much! Anyways, congrats and good luck! Feel free to read our blog if you want. Tell Jason hi!
ReplyDeleteMelody... Congrats on the little man. Wow time flies so fast. I wish we still lived there... We could totally hang out. Ya my little man is almost 5 months. Time flies... So.. with the spitting up... you should take him to the chiropractor. If he is spitting up a lot, or has reflux something is wrong with his neck... and a simple chiropractic adjustment will fix that. ANd it will help a TON!!!! I used to work for one in rexburg, called back to health... the number is 208.359.2264. Tell him I sent you and he will give you a good deal. Well if you have medicaid, they take that too. WIth the chocolate thing.. Well i can't eat chocolate because it makes Carter fussy. Also milk can do the same thing. You sound like you are doing a great job.. But I just stay at home all day, but if you ever want to talk... call me. 208.351.6575... good luck with everything!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey, Melody!
ReplyDeleteYou've got a beautiful little man there! We totally relate to some of the feelings you're having, and that's totally normal! You are doing great!
Before we had Lara we were encouraged to read the book, Baby Wise. It's been really helpful for use to know what really to do! We're not perfect, that's for sure, but it's been a great support for us. You might like to check it out!
Melody- you're such a great mom! I remember feeling like that when Emma was born. Actually, sometimes I still feel like that. It can be an overwhelming feeling to be a mom- but you're doing great. Emma hated tummy too, until she was about 5 or 6 months. Usually it only lasted a minute or two. She also wasn't very interested in toys and she spit up a lot. And she turned out just fine. :)
ReplyDeleteLOL, both Lara and Vivi cried during tummy time! After a while, you really get to know the different kinds of cries. Such as the "If you don't pick me up right now I'm really going to wail" cry, or the "I'm getting really hungry" cry, or the "I'm crying so hard that my face is beet red, it sounds like I'm choking on my own spit, and my mouth could not be open any wider." That makes things a lot easier :)
ReplyDelete